Victoria University Of Wellington International

At our thriving capital city campuses, you’ll study with world-class academics, get dedicated support, and a focus on your future success.

At Victoria University of Wellington, you will join an outstanding academic community with a world-class learning and teaching environment.

The University offers more than 30 undergraduate and 140 postgraduate degrees or programmes in Architecture and Design, Business, Education, Engineering, Health, Humanities and Social Sciences, Law, and Science. We also offer a comprehensive graduate research programme for PhD and Doctoral study.

Our University at a glance

Top 1%

We rank in the top 1 percent of the world’s universities in 19 subject areas. (2020 QS World University Rankings by Subject)

#1 in research intensity

We are the top university in New Zealand for research intensity. (2018 Performance-Based Research Fund)

Global outlook

3,800 of our 22,000 students are international. We partner with 196 universities in 39 countries worldwide.

World-expert staff

Learn from academics with a reputation for research excellence. Our researchers are working at the leading edge of knowledge in many areas.Meet our researchers

Our national and global rankings

We are New Zealand’s top ranked university for intensity of high-quality research and consistently rank among the world’s best universities in the QS World Rankings.

How to apply

Follow these steps to apply for a degree, pathway programme, or Study Abroad and Exchange programme.

Applying during COVID-19

We are still processing study applications during the COVID-19 pandemic, however we are unable to receive couriered or posted applications or documents at this time.

If you are unable to apply online (for undergraduate study only), you can apply using an approved education agent or contact us and tell us your nationality, programme of interest, and previous place of study. We will then let you know the best way to submit an application.

1. Find out about your chosen programme

For PhD study, you must apply through the Wellington Faculty of Graduate Research.

Before you start your application, make sure you:

  • check you meet the entry requirements
  • check the application and start dates
  • check your fees and costs.

You will find this information on your degree or programme page.

If you are applying as a New Zealand secondary school student, find out how to apply.

Apply by our application deadlines to make sure you have enough time to apply for a student visa and accommodation before you travel to New Zealand.

If you don’t meet the entry requirements

At Victoria University of Wellington, we are here to help you meet your study goals. If you don’t meet the entry requirements for:

2. Prepare your documentation

You will need to show us proof that you meet the entry requirements of your chosen programme.

When you apply, you need to provide certified copies of your original documents. If your documents aren’t in English, you’ll also need to provide certified translations.

3. Apply

Now that you are ready to apply, find your degree or programme:

You will find the application form, and instructions for applying and submitting your form, on your degree or programme page. Make sure you read the terms and conditions when you apply.

What happens next

Wait for confirmation

We’ll send you an email to confirm we have received your application. We’ll then email you to confirm whether your application is successful, usually within a week (undergraduate) or three to four weeks (postgraduate).

Accept your Offer

If you are accepted to study at Victoria University of Wellington, we’ll email you an Offer of Place letter. This guarantees your entry into your chosen degree or programme, once you have met any conditions of your Offer. You can accept your Offer online.

Preparing to study

Once you have an Offer of Place, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about preparing for your studies.

Find out more about how to get ready to study.

Need help to apply?

Contact us or seek the help of an approved agent if you have any questions about applying.

Paying your fees

Find out about paying your fees and insurance as a new international student, and what to do if you have a scholarship or student loan.

When to pay

Once you have received an Offer of Place you can pay your fees. You must pay your tuition fees when you apply for a student visa or by the Friday before the start of trimester.

We recommend that you pay your fees at least three or four months before your start date. This will allow enough time for your student visa to be processed.

Paying for insurance and student levies

The cost of your Studentsafe Inbound University insurance and student levies is included in your Offer of Place.

We recommend you pay for your insurance when you pay your fees to avoid unnecessary delays to your enrolment. If you haven’t paid your student levies and insurance in advance, these payments are due the Friday before the start of trimester. Either way, you will be insured for your travel to New Zealand.

What to pay

Your fees depend on what you are studying—your Offer of Place will estimate what you need to pay. Your final tuition fees will be calculated once you have chosen your courses and completed enrolment.

Annual fee increases

The University’s fees are reviewed annually. The estimated fees in your Offer of Place are based on the fees at the time of issuing the Offer. Tuition, insurance, and levy fees are subject to increase each academic year.

Paying by instalment

New international students or students starting a new degree or programme need to pay most initial study costs upfront.

If you are paying by an international student loan, email our financial administrator to see whether you can apply for an instalment plan.

Paying by scholarship or student loan

If you have:

  • a scholarship from Victoria University of Wellington, you should pay your tuition fees less the confirmed scholarship amount
  • a scholarship from an external organisation, you should pay your tuition fees in full; we can discuss payment plans if your scholarship funds will not be available to you before the start of trimester
  • a private bank loan or government loan that is not administered by Victoria University of Wellington, you should pay your tuition fees in full.

If your study is being funded by a scholarship or loan, you will need to provide your scholarship or loan letter to Immigration New Zealand when you apply for your student visa.

How to pay

Find out how to pay your fees as an international student.How to pay your fees

Proof of fees for your visa application

Once we have received and processed your fee payment, we will issue you a Summary of Deposit. This may take up to six business working days after you pay. Use this as proof of payment when you apply for your student visa.

We will send your Summary of Deposit to the email address provided in your application. If you have applied through an agent, they will also receive a copy of your Summary of Deposit.

We can provide your Summary of Deposit directly to Immigration New Zealand on your behalf. Email your Immigration New Zealand visa application number and the email address of the immigration officer dealing with your student visa application to [email protected].

After you have paid

If it has been longer than six days since you made your payment and you have not received your Summary of Deposit, contact [email protected]

Getting a refund

Once you have paid your fees, you are covered by the refund policy as stated in the University’s Fees Statute. Read our terms and conditions of enrolment.

To apply for a full refund of any tuition fees, you must withdraw by the course withdrawal dates. You may also be eligible for a refund of your student levies.

If you withdraw from all of your courses after you arrive in New Zealand, you may have to pay a NZ$1,000 administration fee.

If you are enrolled in the English Proficiency Programme (EPP) and withdraw within two weeks of the start of the programme, you will receive a full refund of fees less an administration fee (if applicable).

You must request a refund in writing—email [email protected]. All refund requests are processed after the withdrawal cut-off date for that trimester.