The Quality Advancement Unit is headed by the Director, Quality Advancement, and manages and administers
- the internal reviews process
- Graduating Year Reviews
- the Graduate and Student Opinion Surveys
- the College and First Year Survey (CFS)
- teaching evaluations
- organisation of Quality Forums
- academic audit processes
- identifies and disseminates good practice in quality assurance and improvement across the University
The term ‘quality’ has generally come to mean that the University can reach the goals that it has set itself as an institution; that it not only says that it provides high levels of expertise and commitment to its stakeholders, but that it can also prove it and that, where necessary, processes will be put in place to address weaknesses via improvement initiatives.
Within the University of Otago, quality has become a professionally led activity, which is managed and administered by the Quality Advancement Unit, under the overall direction of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic).
Quality activities at Otago are informed by research and good practice elsewhere. The Director, Quality Advancement, is involved in a number of national and international forums for the discussion of quality advancement.
- the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Harlene Hayne, leads the University’s Quality Advancement Programme
- the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), Associate Professor Patricia Cragg, is responsible for its design and implementation
- the Director, Quality Advancement, is responsible for management and for providing policy advice
- the Quality Advancement Committee of Senate assists in the development of quality plans for the institution and monitors the development and application of quality assurance (view the terms of reference and composition of the Committee).
- a Quality Advancement Framework for Teaching and Learning is also available which outlines the University’s commitment to quality with a focus on the key processes used for the advancement of teaching and learning within a cycle of planning, implementation, monitoring and enhancement.
Enquiries or comments can be directed to [email protected].