Did you know UC is ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide? Founded over 140 years ago, our legacy of celebrated graduates has shaped the world we live in today. Here, you’ll learn from passionate lecturers in over 100 programmes of study.
You’ll have a chance to be part of ground-breaking research at our research centres and field station. Best of all, you’ll graduate with an excellent academic qualification under your belt.
Learn from home
The COVID-19 situation has us all adapting to a “new normal”. Staying home gives us time to reflect, but we also know that the brain gets restless and that we like a bit of intellectual stimulation – that’s what this page is for!
We’ve gathered below a few links to our favourite learning resources for all ages. Share widely with fellow teachers, parents or to try some of them out yourself!
- Talking to children about COVID-19
- Child Mind Institute: Supporting families during COVID19
- Helpful videos by Nathan Wallis for parents and whānau
- The Parenting Guide – survival tips for home self-isolation
Science science science
- Nanogirl podcasts for kids, updates weekly
- Science Learning Hub (a variety of topics)
- Curious Minds
- Phet – Free science and math simulations for teaching STEM topics, including physics, chemistry, biology, and math, from University of Colorado Boulder
- Science Experiments for kids
- Geoglossary Update your geological lexicon!
- GNS Science Learning Resources explore the amazing story our country and the earth have to tell!
- British Science Association Crest Awards (at-home science activities for all levels)
The whole whānau
- BBC podcasts (free to download)
- Scratch – program your own interactive stories, games, and animations — and share your creations with others in the online community
- Amazon Audible books (free whilst schools are closed)
- YouTube Learning – have partnered with Khan Academy and other learning creators to bring parents & families resources and activities to make the coming days as educational and fun as possible
- Audiobooks RNZ – Not for Children (Young Adult reading)
- Learn Coach – a range of resources to support students with NCEA
- Learning from Home (Ministry of Education)
- Khan Academy – a non-profit resource with the mission to provide free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere
- TED ED snackable lessons for everyone
- MENSA daily brainteasers
Something to keep the younger (and young at heart) ones busy
- NZ Geo (updates daily)
- David Walliams (free audiobook every day)
- TIME kids – Digital Library, free for the rest of the school year
- Wheeler’s Ebooks and audiobooks
- Oxford Owl E- library