Standard Chartered Unlimited, The Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card (the “Unlimited Card“) gives you 1.5% cashback (“Unlimited Cashback“) when you (including your supplementary cardholder(s) on your Unlimited Card account) use the Unlimited Card in the manner specified in these terms
Unlimited Cashback on Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transactions
2. Unlimited Cashback is awarded only on retail transactions which exclude those transactions listed in Clause 3 below (“Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transactions”) made on your Unlimited Card based on the date such purchases are posted to your Unlimited Card account. For the avoidance of doubt, the date the transaction is charged may not be the same as the date the transaction is posted due to factors including but not limited to processing time and differences in time zones (where applicable). For clarity, Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transactions charged to the Unlimited Card in a month (as defined for purposes in Clause 6 below) but yet to be posted to the Unlimited Card account by the Unlimited Card statement date will not be taken into account in the computation of Unlimited Cashback earned for that month (as defined in Clause 6 below). Unlimited Cashback is computed on a monthly basis based on your statement date and will be calculated based on two decimal places for each individual Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transaction without any rounding off. Unlimited Cashback earned will be reflected in that month’s card statement but credited to your principal Unlimited Card account only in the following statement cycle month. Such Unlimited Cashback amount will be automatically offset against the following statement cycle month’s billed amount. Unlimited Cashback earned by your supplementary cardholder(s) of the Unlimited Card will be credited into your principal Unlimited Card account.
3. The following transactions are not Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transactions and will not earn Unlimited Cashback:
a. any cash advance;
b. any fees and charges (including but not limited to annual card fees, service fees, interest charges, cheque processing fees, administrative fees, finance charges, and/or late payment charges and other miscellaneous fees and charges) charged to your Unlimited Card;
c. any Credit Card Funds Transfer;
d. any monthly instalment of an EasyPay transaction;
e. any amount charged to your Unlimited Card (and/or your supplementary card) that is subsequently cancelled, voided, refunded or reversed;
f. recurring payments or payments made to all billing organisations using Standard Chartered Online Banking;
g. AXS or ATM transactions made using the Unlimited Card;
h. amounts which have been rolled over from the preceding months’ statements;
i. tax refunds credited into your Unlimited Card account (and/or your supplementary card account);
j. any tax payments charged to your Unlimited Card (and/or your supplementary card);
k. any insurance premiums charged to your Unlimited Card (and/or your supplementary card); and
l. any top-ups or payment of funds to any prepaid cards (with the exception of EZ-Reload charged to your Unlimited Card) and any prepaid accounts including without limitation to the following accounts or any other accounts as we may specify from time to time; and
|· EZ LINK PTE LTD||· FLASHPAY ATU||· OANDAASIAPA|
|· EZ LINK PTE LTD (FEVO)||· TRANSITLINK*||· OANDA ASIA PAC|
|· EZ-LINK PTE LTD SINGAPORE||· TRANSIT LINK*||· PAYPAL * BIZCONSULTA|
|· EZ-LINK TOP-UP KIOSK||· TRANSIT LINK PL||· PAYPAL * OANDAASIAPA|
|· EZ-LINK (IMAGINE CARD)||· TRANSIT||· PAYPAL * CAPITALROYA|
|· EZLINK*||· MB * MONEYBOOKERS.COM||· Saxo Cap Mkts Pte Ltd|
|· EZ LINK||· WWW.IGMARKETS.COM.SG||· SKR*SKRILL.COM|
m. any other charge, fee, transaction or payment as we may stipulate from time to time.
4. Refunded retail transactions will be deducted from the relevant monthly billed amount for the computation and award of Unlimited Cashback. Any reversed portion of the Unlimited Cashback earned will be reflected in the next month’s Unlimited Card statement.
5. We may retract, deduct, re-compute, withdraw and/or cancel any Unlimited Cashback awarded if you fail to effect the minimum payment due as reflected on that month’s Unlimited Card statement, abuse the cashback programme or for any other reason that we may deem fit in our sole discretion. You will not be entitled to any payment or compensation in respect of such retraction, deduction, re-computation, withdrawal or cancellation.
6. For purposes of these terms, “month” means the period from the statement date of the current month to the day falling one day prior to the statement date of the following month.
7. For any new transaction payable by monthly instalment payments, for purposes of Unlimited Cashback, if you charge the total amount in respect of such Transaction to your Unlimited Card within a particular month where such total amount is successfully converted to monthly instalments:
a. at the point of sale by a participating merchant, the monthly instalment amount (and not the total amount charged) will qualify for Unlimited Cashback provided that (i) such new transaction payable by monthly instalment payment is an Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transaction, and (ii) such monthly instalment amount is successfully posted to your Unlimited Card account before the end of that month. Subsequent monthly instalment amounts will also qualify for Unlimited Cashback for the months in which the relevant instalment amount is posted; or
b. at a later date by us, the total amount charged (and not the converted monthly instalment amount) will qualify for Unlimited Cashback provided that (i) such new transaction payable by monthly instalment payment is an Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transaction, and (ii) such monthly instalment amount is successfully posted to your Unlimited Card account before the end of that month. Subsequent monthly instalment amounts will not qualify for Unlimited Cashback for such months in which the relevant instalment amount is posted.
8. We are not responsible and accept no liability for any failure or delay in the transmission of a transaction and/or Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transaction by any party (including but not limited to Mastercard/Visa acquiring merchants, merchant establishments, or any telecommunication provider) for whatsoever reason.
9. Your Unlimited Card account must be in good standing and conducted in a proper and satisfactory manner, as we may determine in our sole discretion, at the time of crediting the Unlimited Cashback. In the event that your Unlimited Card account is delinquent, terminated or suspected for any reason whatsoever before the Unlimited Cashback is credited into your Unlimited Card account, we reserve the right to forfeit such Unlimited Cashback in our sole discretion without prior notice.
10. We accept no liability for any late submission of any transaction and/or Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transaction by any merchant for whatsoever reason.
11. Any Unlimited Cashback, if credited to your Unlimited Card account for any of the transactions listed under Clause 3, will be reversed in our sole discretion without prior notice.
12. Your Unlimited Card account must be in good standing and conducted in a proper and satisfactory manner, as we may determine in our sole discretion, at the time of crediting the Unlimited Cashback. In the event that your Unlimited Card account is delinquent, terminated or suspended for any reason whatsoever before the Unlimited Cashback is credited into your Unlimited Card account, we reserve the right to forfeit such Unlimited Cashback in our sole discretion without prior notice.
13. The Unlimited Card is excluded from earning rewards under the Standard Chartered 360° Rewards Programme.
14. We reserve the right to vary, modify, and amend any of these terms (including but not limited to the right to vary the rate of Unlimited Cashback, the basis of calculation of Unlimited Cashback and the retail transactions which are not Eligible Unlimited Card Retail Transactions) from time to time without prior notice and you agree that you are bound by such variations, modifications, and amendments.
15. Our decision on all matters pertaining to this Unlimited Card shall be final and binding on you and your supplementary cardholders.
16. These Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card Terms and Conditions are to be read in conjunction with our Customer Terms and Credit Card Terms (“Other Terms“). In the event of any inconsistency between these terms and the Other Terms, these terms prevail only to the extent of such inconsistency.
17. A person who is not a party to these terms and conditions has no rights under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act (Cap. 53B) to enforce any of these terms and conditions.
18.These terms and conditions are governed and construed in accordance with the laws of Singapore. Any dispute arising out of these terms and conditions shall be referred to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Singapore.
19. All information is accurate at the time of publication.
The premise of the Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Cardis extremely simple – 1.5% cashback on everything with no minimum spending and no rebate cap.
Okay, so 1.5% doesn’t sound impressive. But most cashback cards require that you fulfil their minimum spending requirements before they’ll grudgingly hand over the rebates, and even so, there’s a limit to how much you can receive.
This cashback card promises you won’t have to suffer any of these two scenarios. Let’s find out if it’s worth signing up for.
Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card terms & conditions
|Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card|
|Annual fee & waiver||$192.60 including GST (waived for 2 years)|
|Supplementary annual fee||–|
|Interest free period||–|
|Annual interest rate||26.90%*|
|Late payment fee||$80|
|Minimum monthly repayment||1% or $50, whichever is higher|
|Foreign currency transaction fee||3.5%|
|Cash advance transaction fee||6%|
|Minimum income||$30,000 (Singaporean) / $60,000 (non-Singaporean)|
|Wireless payment||Mastercard PayPass, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay|
*From 28 January 2019, effective interest rate for credit card purchases, personal loan finance charges & prevailing rate for fund transfers (if you are not on any promotional rate) will be 26.90% p.a. If full payment is not received by payment due date, finance charges will apply & are calculated on a daily basis from transaction date to payment due date. For more details, please visit sc.com/sg/fcrev.
How does the Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card work?
As a fuss-free, anything-goes card, this is as simple as it gets. You get 1.5% cashback on all spending, with no cashback cap and no minimum spending requirements.
While the 1.5% cashback rate the card offers isn’t really super high, the card’s strength lies in how uncomplicated it is.
If you decide to spend only $10 on your card one month, you still get the 1.5% cash rebates. It doesn’t matter what you use the card on, and you don’t have to worry if you’re using it in the right spending categories, as the 1.5% applies to practically everything (there are a few small exceptions, like taxes and EZ Link top-ups).
On the other end of the spectrum, if you’re going through major (read: very expensive) life changes such as getting married, buying a new home, going on a round-the-world trip to find yourself, this fuss-free credit card will still deliver the same 1.5% rebate on your sky-high expenses.
With most other cashback credit cards, you would burst the rebate cap unless you really dedicate yourself to gaming the system and splitting your expenses. And frankly, who even has time for that!?
Other unlimited cashback credit cards to consider
Standard Chartered’s offering isn’t the only unlimited cashback credit card on the market. American Express, Maybank and even ICBC have entered the fray. But we’ll look at the most mainstream options here:
American Express True Cashback Card – Extremely similar to the Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card as both offer 1.5% cashback. Amex True Cashback has the advantage of also offering 3% cashback during the first 6 months of card membership for your first $5,000 worth of spending. That means that if you spend $5,000 within those three months, you are getting a bonus of $75.
UOB One Card – This card gives more generous rebates on everything, but the main problem is that the minimum spending requirements are high, onerous (you need to hit the target every month in a quarter to qualify for rebates for that quarter) and confusing. If you’re looking for simplicity, avoid this card, unless you are consistently spending exactly $2,000 every month on a specific credit card.
Maybank Platinum Visa Card – Another credit card that offers a flat cash rebate for consistent spending, but with lower spending tiers than the UOB One Card. Get up to 3.33% cashback on all local spending if you spend $300 or $1,000 each month in a quarter. If you don’t mind a wee bit of responsibility and a reasonable minimum spending requirement, consider this card.
Conclusion? For uncomplicated unlimited cashback, the Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card and Amex True are extremely close, and the winner might just be whichever is offering a better sign-up promotion.
If you don’t have any Standard Chartered credit cards, it’s a no brainer. StanChart is offering $100 cashback for newcomers, and you don’t even have to do anything to earn it. You can sign up here:
Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Card: Should You Get It?
Unlimited 1.5% Cashback, Best for High-Spenders
- Affluent consumers with S$7,000+ monthly spend
- Individuals seeking low-maintenance cashback on all purchases
- Commuters & people who spend on transport
- Average and lower spenders looking to maximise cashback
- Frequent travellers seeking perks and miles rewards
- Individuals who mostly spend on specific categories, like dining
Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Card allows affluent consumers to easily maximise rewards by providing unlimited 1.5% cashback on all spend. While other flat rate cards have higher rates, their earnings are often capped, which can be limiting for high spenders. With SC Unlimited Cashback Card, consumers also enjoy convenient transit benefits like EZ-Link compatibility, 15% cashback on Grab rides, and up to 21% fuel savings at Caltex. Overall, consumers who spend S$7,000+ monthly are set to benefit from SC Unlimited Cashback Card.
|1.5% flat cashback, unlimitedNo minimum spend requirementEZ-Link compatible (Top-ups eligible for rebates)Up to 21% fuel savings with Caltex, 15% on GrabPromotions:Up to S$100 in cashback + Up to S$150 in Prime Now credits, 10% cashback & free Amazon PrimeUp to 10% off bookings with Hotels . Com||Requires S$7,000+/mo spend for competitive cashbackLacks specialized rates for specific categoriesDoes not offer travel perks|
What Makes SC Unlimited Cashback Card Stand Out
Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Card allows high spenders to conveniently maximise earnings and enjoy great transit benefits. Cardholders earn unlimited 1.5% flat cashback with no minimum required spend. While this rate is lower than competitors’–UOB One Card offers up to 5% flat cashback, HSBC Advance Card up to 3.5%–cardholders are not constrained by an earnings cap. Consumers also benefit from the card’s EZ-Link compatibility and transit discounts–up to 15% cashback on Grab (capped at S$30/month) and 21% fuel savings at Caltex.
SC Unlimited Cashback Card’s low cashback rate is a counterbalance to its unlimited earning potential, however. Cardholders would need to spend S$7,000+/month to earn more cashback with SC Unlimited Cashback Card than they could with most capped competitors. The higher the monthly spend, the more valuable the card becomes, so average and lower spenders would be far better off with cashback cards with a higher flat rate or with high specialized rates by spend type.
|Monthly Spend||UOB One Card||HSBC Advance Card||SC Unlimited Cashback Card|
|S$7,000||S$100 (cap)||S$125 (cap)||S$105|
|S$9,000||S$100 (cap)||S$125 (cap)||S$135|
HSBC Advance Card rates as applied to HSBC Advance banking customers
It’s also worth mentioning that SC Unlimited Cashback Card has a S$192.6 annual fee, waived 2 years. The fee may seem small, averaging to S$16.05/month, but it substantially detracts from cashback earnings for those spending S$4,000 or less per month once the waiver ends. Again, the low cashback rate limits profitability for average and lower spenders.
SC Unlimited Cashback Card: Influence of Annual Fee after 2-Year Waiver Ends
|Monthly Spend||Total Cashback||Cashback After Fee||% Change|
Ultimately, the highest spenders can take advantage of SC Unlimited Cashback Card’s unlimited earnings potential, despite the relatively low 1.5% flat cashback rate. Cardholders can also enjoy transit benefits, including EZ-Link compatibility, which provides another level of convenience.
How Does SC Unlimited Cashback Card’s Rewards Program Work?
Use our quick and easy-to-read guide below to learn how you you can redeem SC Unlimited Cashback Card rewards.
- Every 1 dollar of cashback earned is equal to S$1
- Cashback earned is excluded from earning SC Rewards Points
- Cashback is credited to the cardholder’s account the following month
- Cashback is automatically offset against the next month’s billed amount
SC Unlimited Cashback Card Rewards Exclusions
Some credit card expenditures are ineligible for cash back or rebate. We identify these exclusions in the table below.
|Bank Fees||Any cash advance, fees and charges (including but not limited to annual card fees, interest charges, cheque processing fees, administrative fees, finance charges, and/or late payment charges and other miscellaneous fees and charges); any credit card funds transfer; any monthly instalment of an EasyPay transaction; any amount charged to card that is subsequently cancelled, voided, refunded or reversed; amounts that have been rolled over from the preceding months’ statements; tax refunds or payments|
|Transfers & Bill Payments||Recurring payments or payments made to all billing organisations using Standard Chartered Online Banking; AXS or ATM transactions, any top-ups or payment of funds to any prepaid cards (with the exception of EZ-Reload charged to Unlimited Card) and any prepaid accounts including EZ-Link, FlashPay, TransitLink, MoneyBookers, IG Markets, Oanda Asia Pacific, PayPal, Skrill, Saxo Capital Markets and others|
|Institutional Payments||Insurance premiums|